STI TESTING AND TREATMENT
STI Testing and Treatment
Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are very common. By age 25, about 1 in 2 sexually active people will get one. STIs often show no symptoms, and many people don’t even know when they have one. If left untreated, STIs can cause pain, damage internal organs, even death. Some STIs can lead to being unable to have children (infertility).
The only way to know for sure if you have an STI is to be tested. Early treatment can relieve the side effects and health problems of most STIs.
STI testing is confidential. It can take several weeks after exposure for test results to be accurate.
We offer the following STI tests:
Chlamydia and Gonorrhea
Get screened every year if:
- You’re a sexually active and under age 25
- You’re older than 25 and at risk of STIs — for example, if you’re having sex with a new partner or multiple partners
- You’re a man who has sex with men
- You have HIV
- You’ve been forced to have sex
Chlamydia and gonorrhea screenings are done either through a urine test, or during a woman’s pelvic exam. Samples are sent to a lab, and results should be ready in 5 days or less.
Our clinics provide medication to cure chlamydia and gonorrhea.
HIV and Syphilis
Sexually active people should get an HIV test at least once. If you are at high risk of infection, you should be tested more often.
Request testing for HIV or syphilis if you:
- Test positive for another STI, which puts you at greater risk of other STIs
- Have had more than one sexual partner since your last test
- Use intravenous (IV) drugs
- Are a man who has sex with men
- Are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant
- Have been forced to have sex
For HIV screenings, we take a drop of blood from the finger. Results are ready in minutes. If the test is positive, we may do a second confirmation test, which we send to a lab. Results are usually ready in 5 days or less.
Testing for syphilis is done by blood, which is sent to a lab. Results are usually ready in 5 days or less.
Our clinics offer medication that cures syphilis. We refer to agencies that offer low-cost HIV treatment.
We also assess and provide treatment for vaginal infections and yeast infections.
NEED AN EXAM?
Contact us and ask how we can help!
At Access Esperanza Clinics, we offer opportunities and hope for people to plan their futures and stay healthy. You can count on us for quality, affordable, and confidential care at all of our Health Clinics.