BIRTH CONTROL IMPLANT
How the Birth Control Implant Works:
- Continually releases a low, steady dose of the hormone progestin for a period of up to three years. This hormone is like the one a woman naturally produces.
- Stops egg from leaving the ovary (ovulation) so there’s no egg for the sperm to fertilize
- Makes cervical mucus thicker and keeps sperm from getting to the eggs
How the Birth Control Implant Is Used:
- The thin implant is placed under the skin of the upper arm by a clinician in a clinic or doctor’s office.
- The implant should be put in when you are sure you are not pregnant. You should use a backup method of birth control if you have sex within 7 days of getting the implant.
- Some medicines may interact with the implant. Always tell your clinician about any medications you take.
- Many women stop having their period or have lighter periods after having the implant for several months.
- The implant can be removed at any time by a clinician. After it is removed, the woman quickly returns to the fertility level she had before getting the implant.
- The implant is one of the most effective and easiest to use birth control methods.
- No need to remember to do anything on a schedule
- Works up to 3 years but can be removed at any time
- Does not interrupt sex
- Can protect against bad cramps and pregnancy in the tubes (ectopic pregnancy)
Possible Problems or Disadvantages
- No protection against STIs, including HIV/AIDs.
- May have redness, swelling, and pain at the spot where the rod was inserted. There may be some scarring at the insertion site.
- The implant is safe for most healthy women, but all medications have some risks and side effects. Access Esperanza Clinics can provide additional information and answer questions to see if the implant is right for you. For hours and locations click here.
How Well It Prevents Pregnancy:
- The implant is one of the most effective and easiest birth control methods to use. Fewer than 1 in 100 women get pregnant in a year using the implant.
NEED BIRTH CONTROL?
Contact us and ask how we can help!
At Access Esperanza Clinics, we offer opportunities and hope for people to plan their futures and stay healthy. You can count on us for quality, affordable, and confidential care at all of our health clinics.
Access Esperanza Clinics is a Silver GuideStar participant, demonstrating a commitment to transparency. See www.guidestar.org.
The information provided on this site is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. Please call Access Esperanza Clinics at 956-688-3700 to set an appointment at any of our clinics.